If you’re renovating or looking for ways to make your building stronger against hurricanes, consider these important upgrades.
1. Strengthen and repair your roof
- Discuss these affordable roof repair projects with your roofing contractor to extend the life of your low-slope commercial roof.
2. Upgrade to impact-rated windows
- Stronger windows can better withstand high winds and flying debris. Look for windows labeled as impact resistant.
3. Replace a rollup, garage, or overhead door with a wind-rated door
- Talk to a contractor or engineer to determine what is appropriate for your location.
4. Purchase hurricane shutters
- Plan ahead and purchase hurricane shutters (code-conforming aluminum paneling) to cover your windows if a hurricane nears. Find what’s right for your business with the IBHS Opening Protection Guide.
5. Install backup power
- Install a backup power generator. Be sure to operate and maintain generators in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
- Install battery backups for sump pumps to prevent water losses during power outages.
6. Check packaged terminal air conditioner (PTAC) units
- Inspect all units to make sure they are properly installed to resist wind-driven rain. Leaks from these units can cause costly damage.
- Ensure all units are installed per manufacturer guidelines, typically tilted 2° toward the outside of the building, and are correctly caulked between the outside of the building and the sleeve.
If you’re looking to replace your roof, consider building stronger with FORTIFIED Commercial™.