Building science experts from the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) are available to speak with the media about how to recover from Hermine’s winds and driving rain, which are impacting homes and businesses along the Eastern Seaboard. Experts can specifically address how property owners can repair or rebuild stronger to help prevent or reduce damage when the next storm hits. IBHS also has b-roll and other resources to assist you with your hurricane season coverage.
Now and throughout the hurricane season
Available experts from IBHS:
- Julie Rochman, President and CEO
- Timothy Reinhold, Senior Vice President of Research and Chief Engineer
- Chuck Miccolis, Senior Engineering Manager, Commercial Lines (commercial buildings)
- Gail Moraton, Business Resiliency Manager
It only takes one storm like Hermine to devastate a community. IBHS’ experts know the science behind the damage suffered to homes and businesses and how people can rebuild and repair their homes and businesses to be more resilient before the next storm strikes, which helps reduce personal injuries and property damage.
Through full-scale testing conducted at the unique IBHS Research Center, scientists have identified valuable risk-reduction techniques, many of which are relatively simple and cost-effective when measured against the return on investment. In fact, a recent study showed that homes built to IBHS’ FORTIFIED standards increased the value of the homes compared to those built using conventional construction standards. IBHS’ free hurricane resources provide comprehensive guidance on reducing property damage before a storm hits, and direction for repairing, rebuilding and recovering following a storm.
To arrange an interview with an IBHS building science expert, please contact Cynthia Michener at (508) 864-9532 or email@example.com.
IBHS Post-Hurricane/Tropical Storm Resources:
- Post-Hurricane Safety Tips (including safely using generators)
- Roofing the Right Way (FORTIFIED reroofing instructions for homeowners to use with contractors)
- How to Hire a Professional Roofing Contractor
- Building or Retrofitting a FORTIFIED Home
- You Can Go Home Again
- Getting Back to Business
- Reducing Water Damage after a Flood
- Home Improvements to Consider Before a Flood
- IBHS Research Center Testing Demonstration Highlights (short videos of the testing demonstrations IBHS has done)
- IBHS High Wind FORTIFIED Construction Demonstration Highlights
- What is FORTIFIED?
- IBHS Manufactured Home High Wind Testing Highlights
- IBHS Wind-Driven Rain Testing Demonstration (showing why roofs should be sealed)
Ed. Note: Hi-definition video of testing conducted at the IBHS Research Center is available for use by the media. To obtain a video file, please contact Cynthia Michener at (508) 864-9532 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FORTIFIED On the Go App (for homeowners and builders/contractors)