Follow these basic preventive maintenance steps to prevent leaks and protect your home from rain throughout the year.
Maintain gutters and downspouts
- Clean gutters and downspouts twice a year, ideally spring and fall, to prevent clogs that can cause water damage to your roof.
- Keep trees trimmed and away from the roof to prevent leaves from clogging gutters.
- If there is standing water, adjust the gutters so they gently slope toward the downspout allowing water to drain.
- Ensure downspouts funnel water away from the building to prevent water from accumulating at the foundation or entering the basement.
Check wall air conditioners
If your home has wall air conditioners:
- Ensure size of internal drain pipe is adequate and water is flowing freely.
- Ensure there is proper caulking and weather stripping around the unit.
- Ensure unit is installed with a 1/4-inch (2-degree) bubble tilt toward outside.
Consider sealing your roof deck
High winds can rip off the cover of your roof, allowing rain to seep between the gaps in the wood and enter the attic and walls inside your home. Sealing your roof deck can prevent up to 95% of this type of water entry. Learn more.