Follow these inspection and maintenance recommendations to prolong the life of your commercial roof.
Maintain roof covers
- Remove debris and inspect for loose or missing materials regularly, and after any roof contractor does work on the roof.
- If bubbling or peeling is noticeable, consider replacing the roof cover.
Maintain roof drainage systems
- Inspect and clean the roof drainage system at least twice a year. If there is a history of clogs from tree leaves, inspect more frequently.
- Check for and repair cracks around roof drains.
- Learn more about protecting your business from heavy rain.
Check for and repair loose perimeter flashing
- Check for and address any loose or missing pieces of flashing. Loose or ill-fitted flashing can cause roof cover failure and water intrusion during high-wind events.
- Also inspect for loose flashing around roof-mounted equipment, curbs, and roof hatches. Loose flashing around these areas leads to potential failure of the unit’s structure and water intrusion.
- Be sure to regularly inspect flashing for any issues before and after storms.
Inspect skylights for cracks, leaks, and securement to the curb. Address any rotting wood in the curb.
Check roof hatches
Check roof hatches for any loose materials or screws, and make sure the roof hatch is closed and locked when not in use.
Check satellite dishes
Make sure all satellite dishes are secured tightly to the roof structure.
Inspect AC units
Regularly inspect and maintain roof-mounted AC units, making sure metal panels and the unit are secured.